Background

Phenology watch

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Random things

I hope everyone enjoyed their weekend!  We went to our friends' house for their annual Superbowl party.  Ate and drank too much, and had a fabulous time.  Go Packers!!

I decided I wanted to taste my beer, so I put a couple of bottles in the refrigerator.  It has been one month since I brewed it, and 2 weeks since bottling.  At this point, you can refrigerate and drink it, or let it continue to condition in a dark, cool place.  The verdict?  Not bad!  It tasted a little bit sweet to me, so I'll cut down on the sugar when I bottle my next batch.  Was it worth it?  That's debatable...I like knowing that I made it, but the bottling process is a hassle.  I'll continue to experiment, and if I do well I'll probably invest in a 5-gallon carboy and skip the bottling. 

I ordered my meat birds over the weekend...I will be getting 25 Cornish X chicks on February 25th.  I am so excited!  I haven't had chicks around for a while, and I'm looking forward to raising my own meat.  Pierce County has a mobile poultry processing unit, and I plan on processing them at about 6-1/2 weeks.  I will definitely keep you posted on that. 

I'm still working on perfecting my multigrain bread, and I plan on never buying another loaf...making it is so easy, and SO good...

I make my Killer Karamel Korn for Superbowl every year...here's the recipe.  I have never brought home leftovers, and I always make a double batch...

Jen's Killer Karamel Korn

4 cups popped corn
4 cups puffed corn
4 cups Rice or Corn Chex
2 cups mini pretzels
1 cup pecan halves
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Combine first 5 ingredients (through pecans) in large baking dish.  (I use a deep 9x13 dish).  In saucepan, stir brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup over medium heat until it comes to a boil over the entire surface.  Lower heat to medium-low, and continue to cook for 5 minutes without stirring.  Remove pan from heat, and stir in vanilla and baking soda.  Carefully - it can puff up quite a bit.  Stir well and pour over popcorn mixture, stirring to combine.  Bake 15 minutes, stir well, and return to oven for another 15 minutes.  Stir again, and pour out onto a large piece of parchment paper.  Let cool, then break into small pieces.  Careful, it's addicting!!

No comments: