Background

Phenology watch

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Spring is here!

I just realized it's been over a month since my last post.  Thanks to a new comment (Welcome, Paula!), and a reminder from another blog I follow, I am ready to get back into the swing of things here.  The last month has been very stressful, and I didn't want to burden everyone who reads this with my emotional rantings.  Things have settled down quite a bit, and it's time for me to get back to the land of the living!

Baby chicks arrived on March 4th.  They were supposed to be here the week before, but a late snow delayed things.  They're now three weeks old, and they are serious eating and pooping machines!!  I got 25 Jumbo Cornish X for meat, and 5 Cuckoo Marans for eggs.  Unfortunately, I lost one Marans, but I think one casualty out of 30 is pretty good.  They are just finishing up their first 40lb bag of 20% Starter/grower, and I think when the bag is gone I will switch them to 25% Finisher feed.  (Any input on that idea would be greatly appreciated!).

I had my garden planting schedule all laid out for the year - that kind of went out the window with the late snow.  I tilled the garden under just this past Saturday, and I'm going to start planting this week.  I've got started peas and broccoli, and I'm going to buy seed potatoes and onion sets today.

So, I'm back!  I'll try to post more often now...Pics later today.

No comments: